Reaching the town from Budapest had been no problem. The Busójárás festival, taking place at the end of February during carnival season, is so well known in Hungary that the bus company added extra buses with several time slots to choose from. Wanting to take advantage of the day, I decided to take the very first one leaving at seven in the morning.
Three hours later, the bus dropped us off at a small parking lot between
the main street and a fairground. The place was still fairly empty, there being
only two other parked buses. To my good fortune, the people at the information
stand were early risers and I was able to get a copy of the day's program in
English, where I learned most activities started until noon. Not sure what to
do on so early hour, I set on to lazily roam through the town.
Stalls lined the streets all the way to the Danube. My eyes wandered
through diverse crafts such as leather belts and wallets, colorful embroidery
on white clothes, souvenirs both pretty and cheap and of course, the intricate
wooden masks.
My nose feasted on roasting kürtőskalács, freshly baked rétes,
smoking grilled meat and slowly cooked stews. My mouth watered at the wide sort
of cookies and sweets, all kind of cheeses, hams and salamis, even the better
if I could have a free sample. My stomach could not stand it anymore and let
out a growl. I succumbed to a poppy seed-filled rétes.
A bit after midday, I set out towards the river promenade in order to
see the Busós cross the Danube. Wriggling my way through the crowds, I found a
spot with a nice panorama view. Unfortunately, the crossing place was at the
Sokac haven, a lot more to the north than where I was, so I only got a small
glimpse of the boats.
Bordering one side lays the city hall, in front of which a raised
stage hosted several folk music and dance groups. I enjoyed seeing how they
proudly wear the traditional costumes, whistling at one another upon a display
of footwork skills. Absorbed watching the dancers, the rustle of people moving
to the edge of the square brought me back to reality. The Busó parade was
finally arriving.
Traditionally, only the men wear the Busó costume of mask, sheep skin
and white trousers. Tied to their belt hang cow bells and bottles of some
drink, out of which they take sips from time to time. I doubt it's only water.
In their hands they carry rattles and pitchforks. Some of them have donuts
pierced through their pitchforks and horns, to comedic effect. A few others
throw flour to unsuspecting female tourists. They are the vivid definition of a
buffoon.
In contrast, their women companions look tidy. Their hair is tied in a
tight bun with a red ribbon, complementing the traditional Sokac dress, which
consists of a skirt, an embroidered apron, a white blouse and a black knitted
shawl. A black mask with a white veil covers their faces, their eyes
accentuated by the contrast. Whole families take part in the walking, with the
little ones dressed just like their elders.
Once the last group arrived on the square, it was a free for all
celebration. The locals mingled with the visitors, with the Busós posing for
pictures as well as playing pranks. Cannons thundered constantly; the louder,
the better. I could feel my head pounding from all the noise. A feeling of mischievous
playfulness hung in the air.
As soon as the sun set, two Busós climbed the hay heap and raised a big
mannequin. They danced around it to the beat of the music while carrying
torches. Then, with the burst of a firecracker, everything was set alight. A
gasp surged from the crowd and hundreds of cellphones tried to capture the
moment, while the rest of us spectators stood there mesmerized by the fire.












No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario